Katherine's Reviews > Under a War-Torn Sky

bookshelves: young-revolutionaries
Recommended to Katherine by: Edie Ching
Read in April, 2009

** spoiler alert ** Wow!

I read this because the author is coming to speak in my class this week. I chose this particular novel because I thought it might be useful for a project I'm doing on youth in times of war (Annie Between the States also sounded interesting, but at 544 pages it was a bit long to add to my current reading list).

I read this in one sitting. The danger that Henry and his saviors faced was very vivid to me. That he had to blindly trust so many people and often was left with no idea of who or what he was supposed to be meeting was frightening, especially when the frenchman sent him walking down a path and his only directions were to take the left fork! His parting with Pierre was heartbreaking. It reminded me of many people who I have met on trips and the feeling when we parted that we would never see each other again. But of course, the feeling Henry would have had there was so much more intense, because death was waiting around the corner for everyone.

The ending brought me to tears. How amazing was the understanding that Henry came to about his father while he was away, and how incredible that his father had the same experience while he was gone! As I read that page I really wondered if his father would say something rude to him, but after all Henry had been through, it was only right for his father to break down and show his affection.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Under a War-Torn Sky.