Nancy (Hrdcovers)'s Reviews > Running Blind

Running Blind by Lee Child

Apr 11, 09

Make this my fourth entry into the world of Jack Reacher, having already read the first three books in this series. Of those, I loved Killing Floor, didn't love Tripwire and enjoyed Die Trying. When I started Running Blind, I was just happy to be back with Jack Reacher, a character who guys can relate to and women can fall for. Who doesn't like the brooding bad boy type with the Robin Hood vigilante mentality?

I was so caught up in this book right from the beginning. As a matter of fact, I emailed a friend of mine just to say how much I was enjoying the Child's book I was reading. At the time of that writing, she was already on his current book so I was far behind her. This book was everything Tripwire wasn't in my opinion. It was fast paced with Reacher helping the FBI, obviously under duress, and his relationship with Jodi is still in tact. As with all of Jack's appearances, things will start to fall apart shortly.

While Jack is always chasing someone very smart, we all know that he is that much smarter. In this case, it's a serial killer bent on doing away with former Army employees who have left the force due to sexual harassment. The FBI profilers have narrowed it down to the exact type of person the killer is....someone exactly like Jack. This hunt will take Jack from the east coast to the west coast and back again until he figures out who the culprit is. We already know he's smarter than they are so we know he's going to be successful.

I loved this book got to the ending. I see many other reviewers have complained about this so just add me to the list. When are authors going to stop neatly tying up their books with ridiculous scenarios. I have something else to say and I don't want anyone who hasn't read the book yet to read what I'm going to say so please move on to the next review.

I said move on to the next review or else you're going to read something you don't want to read. Okay so here's my beef. Am I crazy? Weren't there more than two paragraphs in the book where a colonel is sitting at his desk, forty to forty-five minutes away from Quantico, looking at the list of eleven women, four of which had already been killed. If this wasn't the killer, who the heck was he? Was he the chaplain who appears out of nowhere in the end. A chaplain who comes walking, not even driving, up a hill in the Pacific Northwest. And I'm so sick of authors making everything an inside job. It's like if a woman gets killed, the authorities first look at the husband. I'm now beginning to think that every time I pick up a mystery, I should just look at the cops investigating the case to come up with the killer. I'm sick of it, I tell you. Okay, enough of my rant. I'd love any of you who have read this book to please leave me a comment so I can know who the heck this colonel was and what part he played in the book.

Up until the ending, this book was almost five stars for me....the ending dropped it down to three and a half.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Running Blind.

Trudy The Colonel that they talk about IS the Chaplain... They refer to the Chaplain being a Coronel briefly when the character is "introduced" at Rita's house... Maybe when the police officer who was watching her house tells Reacher and Harper that she had a visit from the army.

It is classic misdirection, but I agree in the fact that the colonel issue was tied up a bit abrubtly and unclearly.

Nancy (Hrdcovers) Trudy wrote: "The Colonel that they talk about IS the Chaplain... They refer to the Chaplain being a Coronel briefly when the character is "introduced" at Rita's house... Maybe when the police officer who was wa..."

Hmmm....very interesting. I'll have to go back and reread that.

message 3: by Jim (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jim Morrissey Thank you for clearing this up. It took me about 10 minutes to try and find the specific page where they talk about the Colonel, but I coulnd't find it.

I think this would have driven me crazy if I didn't find this out.

message 4: by Lisa (new) - added it

Lisa Rathbun Yes. They WANTED you to think the killer was the colonel, but the colonel with his list was simply trying to privately reach out to women whom he felt had been treated badly. It was a way to throw off the reader - to make you assume the colonel with his list was the killer.