Julie's Reviews > Le Bal & Snow in Autumn

Le Bal & Snow in Autumn by Irène Némirovsky

Apr 11, 09

Read in April, 2009

Both of these short novellas were wonderful! Filled with Némirovsky’s beautiful, elegant style of writing and her ability to draw the reader into her stories, as if they were really there does not fail her in both short stories.

Le Bal, as a great story, filled with emotion, I felt so sorry for the poor little girl, who never felt love from her mother, the emotion pours of the pages, and you feel so much for her. Némirovsky was able to create such real and believable characters for this short story. I didn’t enjoy this novella as well as the second, it was still a very enjoyable read. I think it was the mother, who made it not very enjoyable, but it’s because her character is so unlikeable, you can tell the author has done a fantastic job, when you want to slap them mother.

Snow and Autumn was beautifully approached and written, telling of a devoted servants life, I read this feverishly, I couldn’t put it down. It’s a short novella, but so eloquently written, with lovely descriptions a vivid paintings of emotions of the characters as they are affected by the revolution and as we watch the poor servant Tatiana, become ruined because of what she has lost and always enjoyed, the snow in autumn, and those around her changing. She is left to her memories and the ending was sad yet happy at the same time. It’s hard to explain, but again Némirovsky wrote such a vivid and eloquent story, even the sad parts were swallowed up by me. She was a amazing author, and it is a truly a shame she was never able to create more stories from her creative mind.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Le Bal & Snow in Autumn.