Priscilla Macias's Reviews > Mexican Enough: My Life between the Borderlines

Mexican Enough by Stephanie Elizondo Griest

F 50x66
Apr 11, 2009

Read in April, 2009

I was skeptical reading this book because I usually have a hard time identifying with books about Mexican American women (I myself am a Mexican American woman). Either it's too hard-core Mexican or too watered down and portrays women in a "I'm a part of the earth and the water" type of deal. I am personally not that type of Mexican American women, so I always approach these types of books with caution and am a pretty hard sell. However, I read the book and I related to it WAY more than I expected. There were some parts of the book that lost my interest, but I think that it's kind of a good thing because her topics were comprehensive enough to have a little something for everybody. I came into the book wanting to read a book of memoirs about feelings and emotions. Not only did I get that, but I also got a history lesson on things that I pretended to know about because I felt stupid asking these questions that I'm apparently already supposed to know the answers to. I really liked the book and would recommend it, especially to people like me who want to know a little more their own culture, but feel guilty about having to learn it from someone else's book (as she covers this topic in the book).
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mexican Enough.