Caitlin's Reviews > The Spanish Game

Apr 11, 2009

it was ok
bookshelves: 2009
Read in April, 2009

This is a follow up to A Spy by Nature A Novel, which I haven't read & maybe should for bits & pieces of this book to make more sense to me.

Lots of people think this guy is the next Le Carre, but I'm not one of them. There are plenty of twists & turns in this & the writing is clean & effective, but ultimately I couldn't manage to care about the main character & in this book that was a problem for me.

Cumming plots well, keeping the pieces of his puzzle in play quite easily. He writes fairly vividly of Madrid & of the Basque country, although I wished for a bit more information on ETA & the general conflict. I suspect our hero could have used this information, too & maybe that's the point of not having it.

Our hero seems convinced that he's Philby & the world is out to get him, but comes off as rather self-important so by the time various people DO get him I was rather relieved &, frankly, on their side.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Spanish Game.

04/23/2009 page 197
41.04% "He looks at me for a long time, drawing out the stare, as is to check the validity of my entire existence."