Steen's Reviews > The Fifth Sorceress

2207539
Apr 10, 09

bookshelves: fantasy-sci-fi, hated
Read in December, 2004

I must say at first I absolutely hated this book. I found the story somewhat intriguing but it seemed things would happen out of convince for the author as apposed to things feeling like they happened because they did. I hated the way he wrote it and he used the same sentances to describe things. ie "and Tristan saw something that he would never forget" about a million times. Whatever. But I wanted to give the book a chance for two reasons [1:] because this was the authors first novel and I was hoping that he would fall into a better natural and stronger writing style then when he started out and [2:] because a co-worker raved about this book so much. She was the one that recommened George RR martin to me and because all the fantasy fans that ever came to our store always looked upon her for recommendations because she knows like every series ever. So yep. I am happy to say that as I got farther into the book I was less and less rolling my eyes and bitching about things the author was say and actually got really into the story [ although this took me almost 3 quarters of the way through the book:]. There were still a few things that he wrote that really don't make any sense or he didn't describe it enough to make the reader understand how certain people came to conclusions. But no matter. It's like the first 3 quarters of the book he warmed up his writing style and ended with something better then what he began with.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Fifth Sorceress.