Chris's Reviews > Getting Things Done: The Art of Stress-Free Productivity

M 50x66
Jan 19, 15

bookshelves: 2009, again-and-again, 2010, 2011, 2008, 2013, 2014, 2015
Read in January, 2014

I've read this today for the fourth time and will continue to "brain wash" myself in this philosophy. Getting Things Done, or GTD, is based on Allen's concept of natural planning and follows some very practical strategies.

1) Free up as much "psychic RAM" as possible by regularly dumping information into a trusted system for later recall. Write out the ideas and set them into the "In" basket.
2) Organize the information into logical categories, projects, contexts.
3) Get the "In" basket to zero by working on each piece of information. "If it can be done in under two minutes, do it. Otherwise, file it in the right place and schedule a time to work on it.
3) Always identify the next action step
4) Review all open loops or the master project list at least one time each week.

I've not captured the entire philosophy here, just a few of the big ideas. Bottom line: this is working wonders for me even though I fall off the wagon and have to climb back on about every month. Each time I reengage, I'm able to see farther and farther out ahead.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Getting Things Done.