Meagan's Reviews > The Probable Future

The Probable Future by Alice Hoffman

196574
Aug 29, 07

bookshelves: 5stars

Honestly, this book was one of the best depictions of mother-daughter relationships I've ever read. I felt for both mother and child in it, I could see both sides and where both were coming from - yet unlike other novels, I saw no clear way to fix it, because there was no clear way to fix things. It was kind of heartbreaking to read, because I saw my own relationship with my mom in Hoffman's words.

The only downside to the plot was Stella's relationship with the football player. It seemed awkward and out of place - I applaud Hoffman for taking a risk, putting the heroine with the character who wouldn't necessarily be called the "hero" of the younger cast, but her execution could've used some smoothing over.

Other than that, it was a very good novel. A very typical Hoffman novel - she uses supernatural elements to define the relationships between her female characters. It takes after Practical Magic in the way that the women's abilities are passed down through the family line, but the circumstances and characters are different enough so that you can firmly separate the two novels in your head.
6 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Probable Future.

message 1: by Isabel (new)

Isabel Hi Meagan! I'm thinking of getting this book for my mother on her 46th birthday this July. I would like your opinion. Do you think this would be a good gift from a daughter to her mother? Or is this primarily a romance? I can't seem to find a copy anywhere and I want to make sure that the story revolves around a turbulent but inspiring relationship between a mother and her daughter.

Meagan It's definitely about the relationship between a mother and a daughter - between the protagonist and both her daughter and her mother. The romance element to it is mostly frosting on the cake. :)

message 3: by Isabel (new)

Isabel Thank you so much! :)