Elizabeth Wallace's Reviews > Fine Prey

Apr 10, 09

bookshelves: very-nicely-sexy, sci-fi
Recommended to Elizabeth by: Kathryn
Read in January, 2005, read count: 2

Holy cow I forgot how much I adore this book.

Somehow Westerfeld dances around the edges of "hard sci fi" without actually making any of it...hard. He throws in technology, aliens, economy, language, drugs, science....and you can just sit back and enjoy the heck out of it, without ever feeling lost.

Love the details of the "claw hunt" and "fine hunt," the two sports that replaced anything equestrian once the new masters of Earth landed on the planet and pretty much took over. (A very polite and mostly bloodless takeover from the sounds of it, and yet everyone's still scared to death of them. Nice trick there.) Love the details of the Aya's language (let's see if I can build this analogy correctly: Learning Ayan is to learning Mandarin what learning Mandarin is to learning a nursery rhyme. It's HARD is what I'm sayin'.) Love the decadence of it, love the violence, love the sex, love the fact that you're gonna go half the book before figuring out FOR SURE the gender of the main character. (Seriously, it's done in such a subtle way you suddenly go "wait....hang on.." Not sure why Westerfeld did that, but it's fun anyway.)

All in all fantastic stuff, very fun. Nothing against young adult literature, but I sure wish he'd start writing adult stuff again. You can't put much sex in the young adult stuff..
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fine Prey.