Caitlin's Reviews > Girls Like Us: Carole King, Joni Mitchell, Carly Simon - and the Journey of a Generation

Girls Like Us by Sheila Weller

2209914
Apr 10, 09

bookshelves: 2009
Read in April, 2009

I really wanted this to be better than it was. I love all 3 singers & Joni Mitchell, in particular, has been an off and on soundtrack in my life, but this book just didn't live up to its potential.

Weller can't seem to decide whether she's writing a social history of these women & their times or a gossipy tell-all potboiler. The book careens between these two choices & does neither well.

There's interesting material buried in here & in all 3 life stories. In particular the challenge of living outside the box, of successfully navigating a career in a challenging field & maintaining relationships with others. It's easy to forget how different times were for women then - how much more limited the choices were.
I think the thing that bugged me the most about this book was the author's tone about all 3 women. It reminded me of the kinds of girlfriends you have in high school who will say behind your back, "She is SO cool! She's my best friend! If only her ass wasn't so fat."
3 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Girls Like Us.