Barry's Reviews > Going Bovine

Going Bovine by Libba Bray

Apr 10, 2009

bookshelves: client-s-books

I'm biased, of course. Libba's not just my client, she's my wife. But this is one of the funniest books I've ever read, and will break your heart at the same time.

She wrote the first draft of this book in one month, for a workshop organized by Cynthia Leitich Smith. It just poured out of her, and I knew it was something special when she'd talk about it with this little gleam in her eye.

Fans of the Gemma books may not initially think this is for them, but I think the romance, the humor, the quirk that is Libba shines through here just as much as it did in those books.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Going Bovine.

02/24/2016 marked as: read

Michelle Your wife truly has an imagination on park with Adams and Gaiman as far as I'm concerned. This book had me laughing out loud and getting teary at the same time. I think I fell slightly in love with Balder. All the characters are fantastic, but he was a true standout!

Alissa Bach Going Bovine is a true Epic Masterpiece! Not many books out there fall into that category.

Annalisa A month? Now I'm even more amazed.

Demetra aww, that's sweet. Your a keeper. : )

message 5: by Savannah (new)

Savannah Gail Love. This. Book! Has she written any others? If so, they're definitely worth looking into. :)

Jackie Jameson Sorry, no laughing out loud, no tears at the end, mainly because we never really got to know Cameron's family anyway, and everybody was so one dimensional, I didn't get the impression they'd really MISS him all that much. I know I wont. But it's nice you're so supportive.

Jackie Jameson And, Wow! It took her a WHOLE MONTH! That's dedication to your art, man.

Ellen So I just started reading this, but for those on the Snark Squad, I'm pretty sure the "one month" thing is meant to convey that writing a nearly-500-page book usually takes way longer, not that a month is a giant amount of time. Of course editing it and getting it ready to publish would be a longer process.

Shannon Dennington This is a book I read slow because I never wanted it to end. ❤