Gaele's Reviews > All This Talk of Love

All This Talk of Love by Christopher Castellani

Jan 30, 13

bookshelves: net-galley, review-reads
Read in January, 2013

An examination of the multiple permutations of love, loss and memory all viewed from the eyes of Italian immigrants, this touching and poignant book opens a door into love, and all of the ways it can shelter, protect, shield and not surprisingly, thwart.

Told from several perspectives, the characters all begin to form an oddly poetic perspective for the reader, as everyone’s views combine to give you a fuller picture. Like all families, the Grassos have their levels of dysfunction, secrets, tragedies and attachments; what strikes is the romanticized and cleansed view of the old country. Not uncommon for immigrants I have known, this childlike attachment to the “what may have been had I stayed” all intermingles with those early memories that are so sweet in retrospect, and cause such confusion in this story. Contrast those emotions with the what is of the now, and answers that are slowly revealed as the secrets and tragedies are examined and brought out of shadow.

What could have fallen into the melodramatic and soupy, the characters all manage to speak with voices that feel as if they live and breathe before you. While I did find that some of the tragedies were not fully divulged, and I wished that the trip to Italy was less anticlimactic for the entire family, this was a successful and memorable book that will encourage me to seek out this author’s other titles.

I received a pre-release ARC copy of the book from the publisher through NetGalley for purpose of honest review. I was not compensated for this review, and all conclusions are my own responsibility.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read All This Talk of Love.