Erica's Reviews > Leave Me Alone, I'm Reading: Finding and Losing Myself in Books

Leave Me Alone, I'm Reading by Maureen Corrigan

Apr 09, 09

Read in April, 2009

Maureen Corrigan -- professor, literary critic and reviewer for NPR talks about her love of books and how particular genres shaped her life.

A cross between lit crit and memoir, Corrigan makes some interesting arguments -- her idea of a Female Extreme Adventure as being something more internal and consisting of years, rather than a multi-month trek in the wilderness favored by rustic men, is compelling.

She weaves stories from her own life into the books she turns to for comfort and guidance, and points out some obvious points (girls who read too much Austen or other strong women writers believe men like girls who are witty and smart), and others that readers will come to at different points in their lives (eg how the narrative of who we are and what we have become has been inextricably shaped by the books we read when we were young).

I got lost in her extensive musings on the Catholic martyr lit, but for those who were raised with the genre it may in fact be very poignant.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Leave Me Alone, I'm Reading.