Eliece's Reviews > Morality for Beautiful Girls

Morality for Beautiful Girls by Alexander McCall Smith

Apr 09, 2009

it was ok
Read in April, 2009

I'd add a half to that star if I could, but couldn't quite go to three. I really liked the first two in this series, but I guess this is why I stay away from series books as a general rule. They seem to lose appeal for me as they go along. I hate the summarizing from past books to catch you up. The characters in this are still endearing and I love the setting and the 'love of country' theme going on. I like the small moral lessons the books aim to teach and the simple writing style. This one had a little too much going on -- too many cases for one book, too much background, and just got a little boring.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Morality for Beautiful Girls.

message 1: by Marian (new)

Marian I'm with you on series books.

Sonja I think my problem is that I love the first one or two so much that I'm holding out with with hope that the latter books in the series will come through and just be a continuation of the first one I fell in love with. I have the rest of that series (garage sale for $1 - wahoo!) but haven't read them yet.

Eliece I loved the first 2 also Sonja . . . thus my beef with series books. MOST of them tend to loose steam. Definately worth a garage sale buck, though! Maybe if you just read one a year, they will stay charming. (I'll return some books to you next time I come that way.)

message 4: by Amy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amy Hauck Listening to these on audiobooks is the way to go- the reader is excellent and the slow pace is easy to follow while driving and working out

Colleen I have had that happen to me as well not necessarily in a series, but when I read a book by a certain author in succession. I begin to figure out the plot and the book will feel like a fill in the blank story. So I get what you are saying. I am still captivated by the books. Maybe I am just at a place in life where it feels good to be charmed and captivated by characters that are relatable.