Lumumba Shakur's Reviews > Islam and the Blackamerican: Looking Toward the Third Resurrection

Islam and the Blackamerican by Sherman A. Jackson

Apr 09, 09

bookshelves: african-american-studies, contemporary-islam, favorites
Read in January, 2006

This has to be hands down one of the best and most insightful books that I have read in the past ten years. It is a must-read for every Muslim living in the United States, as he has something to say to each member of our vast community. Though some will not agree with everything he has to say (including myself), he nonetheless needs to be heard. Just for his poignant critique of what he terms "Black Orientalism" alone, this book deserves to be on the shelf of every "Black Studies" section in every university library and Barnes and Nobles. After summarizing the history of Islam in the United States, he goes on to elaborate on a way forward for the future of Islam in America. Every aspect of this book is thought provoking and it actually caused me to take a radical departure from my previous views and roles regarding the early new age black religious movements of the past century. I also appreciated his decision to keep the discourse academic, instead of dumbed-down of mass consumption. If you are like me, you may need a dictionary from time to time, but I promise you will be better for it. This is a must read and a book that shall forever remain upon my shelf (once I replace my lent out copy).
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Islam and the Blackamerican.