Dee's Reviews > The Secret Dreamworld of a Shopaholic

Apr 15, 09

bookshelves: humour, my-reviews, chicklit
Recommended for: everyone
Read in January, 2004, read count: 3

Don't judge a book by its movie.

I'm not a big fan of chick-lit generally but the shopaholic series is pretty special, mainly because of Sophie Kinsella's comic timing.
If you are in need of cheering up (but don't have the money to indulge in a little retail therapy yourself) this is the book to do it. It will seriously make you laugh out loud.

When I first read this book (when it was known as The Secret Dreamworld of a Shopaholic) I found I related to Becky somewhat in that I was in exactly the same situation as her at the time - spending too much money and getting into debt while working on an extremely boring trade magazine where I would relish the chance to go to some boring press meeting in order to get out of the office and get to the shops! So I guess I do have a soft spot for the first novel in this series. Everything Kinsella wrote was true to life (my life) including some of the crazy justifications Becky has given to herself to explain her spending.

And I confess that I too have once had a "luggage moment".

4 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Secret Dreamworld of a Shopaholic.

message 1: by Joy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Joy This is a great review. I have read all of the Shopaholic series and really enjoyed it. I haven't seen the movie but I hear it takes place in New York instead of England which seems like a big mistake. Part of the charm of the book is the setting and the fact that Becky is British. Anyway, I agree that the book series is special and charming.

message 2: by Dee (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dee Joy wrote: "This is a great review. I have read all of the Shopaholic series and really enjoyed it. I haven't seen the movie but I hear it takes place in New York instead of England which seems like a big mi..."

Thanks! The movie is set in the US and no, it just doesn't have the same sort of charm. The movie is a bit of a mess actually, just doesn't do the book justice imo!

Maria I agree, the movie was okay for those who didn't read the series. For those who did, like me, I was apalled that Becky wasn't British, but American. :( not cool. They squeezed the first two books, Confessions of a Shopaholic and Shopaholic Takes Manhattan into one movie which I could see why, since not much happened in the first book alone. I pictured Luke as a blonde, not a brunette Hugh Dancy (even though he's gorgeous) and Becky as a Brunette, although Isla Fisher did a great job at portraying Beckys character though (although not British). The books themselves were easy to read and funny, ( i read most of them I. The hot summer, sitting on the porch drinking lemonade. This book (series) needed to be written especially for women who desire shopping. If I had the money, I'd shop shop and shop some more. Kinsella made shopping into poetry through Becky. Everything she bought she described so lovingly as if she was reciting a poem. I'm not like becky though, I'm very practical. I don't buy anything that doesn't serve an important purpose. Lol but after reading the series, even just this book, I look differently at things now.

message 4: by Jane (new)

Jane For once, I would stick with the movie.