Wendy Welch's Reviews > The Autobiography of Henry VIII: With Notes by His Fool, Will Somers

The Autobiography of Henry VIII by Margaret George

Apr 09, 09

Read in April, 2009

I am a fool for historic fiction. I can name all the kings and queens of England/Britain from the War of the Roses to the Long Parliament, plus who they had for spouses and fooling around.

All that is to say I am a devotee of historic fiction, and I thought Antonia Fraser had captured the market on detail. (Even though she doesn't write fiction much.)

But this book vacillated between tedium and insight. Since it was from Henry's POV, it had bits in that made you think about what he was thinking. Did he REALLY think Anne Boleyn was a witch, or was it convenient? Margaret George takes it all at face value, which I found a bit weird. Also she attributed a couple of historic legends to the wrong people. But overall it was interesting to see it through Henry's eyes. It must have been an interesting writing exercise to keep up with him, as he wouldn't have had the same views as the people or the courtiers, yet he had to know what they thought.

Good enough.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Autobiography of Henry VIII.