Amanda's Reviews > From Equal Suffrage to Equal Rights: Alice Paul and the National Woman's Party, 1910-1928

From Equal Suffrage to Equal Rights by Christine A. Lunardini

F 50x66
Apr 09, 2009

liked it
Recommended to Amanda by: Iron Jawed Angel
Recommended for: Childsie
Read in April, 2009 , read count: 1

Informative. Pure detail. This book champions Alice Paul as a dominant figure in the woman's suffrage movement. It also talks a lot about the conflict between the NAWSA (National American Woman Suffrage Association)which was fighting slowly for suffrage on a state by state basis, and the Congressional Union turned National Women's Party that fought for votes for women by passage of a federal amendment. The National Womens' Party was radical at the time and snubbed by a lot of women. They used picketing, protest, went to jail, endured hunger strikes, until their goal was reached. It took ten years of organizing but it would have taken a lot longer to go the polite way. The cooperative way. One thing they did was win over Woodrow Wilson. He sided with the NAWSA and said that suffrage should be a state decision. And then they pitted his words against his worldly democratic actions. How can we fight for democracy abroad, when we don't even have democracy at home? Meaning women being second class citizens. This is what I think about daily. With all these modern wars. When so many people in the US are suffering. It makes no sense to humans. It makes no sense to me.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read From Equal Suffrage to Equal Rights.