Robin's Reviews > The Year of Pleasures

The Year of Pleasures by Elizabeth Berg

Apr 11, 09

bookshelves: 2009-list, fiction
Recommended for: those who like women's fiction
Read in April, 2009

This is a book that I won from Goodreads but I didn't realize it when I received it in the mail until I saw the letter inside the book. Although it's a paperback edition of the novel, it doesn't look like it is because it's packaged as "Come home to Elizabeth Berg" which made me think it was excerpts from a few of her novels. It turns out that it contains the entire novel but also contains a preview of "Home Safe," her forthcoming novel. It's been a number of years since I've read fiction by Berg but from what I've read so far it looks like a good one plus it will be great to pass along to other women readers I know.

April 11, 2009: Today I completed reading this book. It's a short work at 203 pages but I was satisfied with the story of a woman who is widowed too young from a man she was devoted to and starts a new life in a small town outside Chicago, reunites with old friends and experiences an interesting year.

I have to say that I was not entirely satisfied with the preview of the new book because it began at chapter 5 and apparently it also features a widow! Odd. I'm sure it's a good story but the preview did not make me want to get a copy of the book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Year of Pleasures.