Johanna's Reviews > The Satanic Verses

The Satanic Verses by Salman Rushdie

Sep 09, 07

Recommended for: Magical Realism Fans, Neil Gaiman fans, studiers and enthusiasts of post-colonial politics
Read in September, 2007

This book is not for the faint of heart. It is overwhelming in terms of plot, imagery, and its large cast of characters. However, it is completely worth it and it flows beautifully once you get in tune with the book. I bought the Satanic Verses when I was 17 and I was not ready for it--I read 15 pages and then put it away. I picked it up again 7 years later and could not put it down.

There is just....so much packed into this book. One would have to read it many many times to get the full meaning of it, but at the same time it is a highly enjoyable and pleasurable read. By combining the two, this book becomes perfect--you can enjoy it on first read, but you will want to read it again, and again. Rushdie is the consummate storyteller. Like Neil Gaiman, he is amazing at the actual "telling" of the story, as opposed to just having interesting characters and plots (although he does). He is a storyteller in the tradition of the old tellers, the bards and minstrels and trovadores of a bygone age. Rushdie keeps it alive.

However, a warning. There is a reason that Rushdie had a fatwa declared against him. This book does not portray the Prophet Mohammed in the best light. At all. That is something people may find offensive. I found it fascinating in terms of exploring the genesis of a religion. Rushdie keeps your guessing--in the end, you have to decide what you believe about the characters, including Mohammed.
34 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Satanic Verses.

04/14 marked as: read

Nasim Shademan Hi
actually...i didn't get the message of the book...would you please explain it for me in just some few lines?please?

Jarisa Rushdie is a master storyteller! It's funny how you mentioned Neil Gaiman because he as well constructs his stories and worlds just beautifully!

Nageen lol, you are recommending it for Neil Gaiman and magical realism fans. As a huge one, I detest this piece of boring and c**ppy literature. With all respect to your opinion on it of course.

Brendan Monroe And have you read this book, Nageen?

Nageen Brendan wrote: "And have you read this book, Nageen?" Yes

Nageen Nageen wrote: "Brendan wrote: "And have you read this book, Nageen?" Yes"

Like I said, no offense to anybody's opinion, just gently disagreeing. Nothing to do with the religious controversy behind it..