Jeanette's Reviews > Some Tame Gazelle

Some Tame Gazelle by Barbara Pym

May 26, 09

bookshelves: 2009
Read in April, 2009

Barbara Pym's first novel, published in 1950, tells the story of middle aged spinsters Harriet and Belinda Bede. Bubbly, chubby, fun and outgoing Harriet loves to take young curates under her wings and has made a habit of turning down the marriage proposals of an Italian Count. Meek, shy and romantic Belinda has been harboring feelings of unrequited love for the town's vicar whom she has known since they were in college together.
A comedy about life in an English country village filled with a host of eccentric characters. Sounds like just the type of novel I would adore and sing the praises of, but my enjoyment of this book was much lower than I thought it would be. I thought maybe it is because I am not a middle aged spinster (still in my twenties, have been married for 8 years and have 2 kids) but that has not stopped me from enjoying other such books so that is not it.
This book did have plenty of humorous and enjoyable moments that I got caught up in reading but at other times I was just not feeling compelled to open the book and keep going. A good book but I don't know if the book or the author garners the comparisons to Jane Austen that I have seen heaped upon them.
But I am not done with Barbara Pym. I have heard so much good, those Jane Austen comparisons etc, and this was her first novel so I will read more of her books and hope to find something that pulls me in more than Some Tame Gazelle did.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Some Tame Gazelle.