Kyle McManamy's Reviews > One Thousand Gifts: A Dare to Live Fully Right Where You Are

One Thousand Gifts by Ann Voskamp

Jan 29, 13

Read in January, 2012

Voskamp gets one star above the minimum because she's a good writer, but everything else about this book makes me want to get copies out of circulation.

This is her story of being challenged to write down 1000 things for which she is thankful. Voskamp, a farmer's wife, homeschool mom of 6, and literature major in college writes about the struggles of ordinary life in such a way that many Christian women with children will be able to relate. Her style (which she calls prosetry, a mixture of "prose" and "poetry") is image and emotion-filled which is at times beautiful and others a little hard to follow. Her theological methods (which she seems to implicitly endorse) might be fine for those who can wade through them, but for our average reader they teach bad things.

Voskamp has become quite a celebrity since the publishing of this book and I think she's done a good job at addressing fame with humility that is winsome (which makes me like her), but I would not recommend this book to anyone. Ever.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read One Thousand Gifts.