Janelle Dazzlepants's Reviews > The Black Dagger Brotherhood: An Insider's Guide

The Black Dagger Brotherhood by J.R. Ward

Apr 10, 09

bookshelves: vampires, urban-fantasy
Read in April, 2009

** spoiler alert ** Ahh this was an AMAZING addition to the series, and really is a must-have for all Black Dagger Brotherhood fans. Getting Ward's perspective on things really changed my opinions of some of the books I wasn't so much a fan of, and some of the characters (like Mary) who I really despised.

The excerpts of the Brothers winding each other up on the boards were HILARIOUS, and I love Rhage so so so much :D I was honestly cackling to myself while reading the exchanges between the Brothers when they were teasing each other about the sappy things they did for Valentines Day, and Rhage paying Vishous out about 'Knitters Anonymous' was pretty much the funniest thing ever. I wish there had been more of Rhage's humour in Lover Eternal, and less lovesick puppy-ness. :D

I fucking love all the information we got about Lassiter, because he's been really playing on my mind and I cant wait to hear more about him. I loved the deleted scene between Phury and Cormia, and personally liked it better than that aggressive almost-rape between them in Lover Enshrined. During that book I didn't like their lack of chemistry and just wanted them to get it on already, and I wish that scene had been in the book :(

The short story, Father Mine, about Z coming to terms with fatherhood upset me so much, but it was so amazing and beautiful to read. I was honestly bawling my eyes out and sobbing like a bitch, and I can't believe I've gotten so attached to these characters and pulled so far into the Black Dagger Brotherhood 'verse :D although I guess that's a testament to Ward's writing skills.

I loved the little vignette about Wrath dealing with his ascension as King, and all the work he's forced into doing, and his itching to get out onto the field. I never really thought about him being dissident about his new job, despite how often it's mentioned that he always looks like he has a headache these days. I think we definitely need to hear more from Beth in the future, I miss hearing from her character.

*cries* ugh that non-interview with Tohrment before Wellsie's death and the whole scenario with him at Phury and Cormia's mating ceremony upset me too :( As much as I want him to snap out of it and move on, I know he won't, and I kind of want to explore his struggles in future books.

Another thing I loved about this inside guide to the Brotherhood is the explanation about how the Scribe Virgin created John Matthew and placed him in the bathroom stall in the 80s, after Darius' death. Even though there was mention of how the Omega transcended time and birthed Lash to counter the Dhestroyer prophecy, I was still confused about John Matthew was born, because Darius was still alive at that time. I'm still very confused, but now i know about the Scribe Virgin's intervention :D

I fucking LOVED this book, and I can't wait for Lover Avenged.
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Black Dagger Brotherhood.

04/09/2009 page 74