CaliGirlRae's Reviews > Starstruck Hunter

Apr 08, 2009

bookshelves: sci-fi, urban-fantasy, interracial, ebook, best-of-2009-reads
Recommended for: Sci-fi Romance fans, Urban fantasy romance fans
Read in April, 2009 , read count: 1

Noah Benson is a newly released man from incarceration assisting the local enforcement on catching rogue star hunters. One in particular who was the reason he was put behind bars. During a current job, he accidentally hits a young star out of the sky. He takes her in and tries to hide her from the authorities and the hunters looking to use her energy source for their own means. Miranda Snow has her own problems as she escapes a cruel fiancé she is promised to wed soon.

The theme reminded me of Gaiman’s Stardust but author Michelle Lauren completely makes this story her own in this debut. It feels original in this world of star hunters and traffickers, stars, werewolves, detectives and rogues. It’s a little bit of sci-fi, a little bit of mystery and urban fantasy mixed in with some romance with high tension.

For those wondering about the content, there are some sexually explicit scenes that may push this into erotica territory based on the acts and the language but the conclusion is sweet as the buildup. The story doesn’t suffer at all if you want skip right through these. The tension between Noah and Miranda is very high and the conversations they have as they get to know each other feels very real. Ms. Lauren is one of those storytellers that ropes you in with a mixture of good characterization, descriptive visuals and fascinating suspense. I’m certainly interested in seeing what Ms. Lauren has in store next for her readers.

This one goes on my best of 2009 reads and my keeper shelf for rereading at a later time.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Starstruck Hunter.

CaliGirlRae I LOVE this cover!

Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books) Great review. I downloaded this one. I'm eager to read it. Michelle is a really cool woman. I imagine she has something great to offer in her stories.

CaliGirlRae Thanks Danielle! Yeah, I really like her writing style and she's definitely a cool lady. I can't wait until she releases more goodies. :-)