Pat's Reviews > Leeway Cottage

Leeway Cottage by Beth Gutcheon

2028070
Jul 20, 09

I was very disappointed in this book.

It presented itself as a sprawling, multi-generational "good read", which would be substatiated by the entries in the guest book at Leeway Cottage.

I found the entries often to be cryptic, but then not explained within the confines of the story itself.

While I really enjoyed learning about the resistance work done by Laurus and his countrymen in Denmark through the war, I couldn't warm up to any of the rest of the story or to other characters.

The book portrayed Candace as a terrible mother, whose daughter Annabelle even changed her name to distance herself from her mother.
I found it odd that Annabelle (now Sydney) turned out to act toward her own children exactly as her mother had to her. She seemed to want to be different, but she failed - her children called her Syd Viscious with good reason. To me, this showed poor character development.

I thought the affair Sydney had with her best friend's husband was poorly veiled, as it was hinted at throughout the story. At the end it was presented as a huge shock.

I kept reading till the end, hoping for the saga to come together - it never did.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Leeway Cottage.