Lara's Reviews > Gone with the Wind

Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell

2203529
Jun 14, 2016

bookshelves: historical-fiction, southern, favorites, gwtw
Recommended to Lara by: many people, particularly women
Recommended for: people who are curious about the popularity of this novel and want to think for themselves
Read in June, 2016 , read count: 5

I've resisted writing a review of this novel for a long time, mostly because there is so much to say about this novel that I feel overwhelmed just attempting to summarize my thoughts. There is a reason this novel has received so many accolades and attracts so many devoted fans each year. This is one of the most powerful and complex anti-war novels I have ever read, and I wish more people would realize the brilliance of this novel. Sadly, I think far too many people are quick to reduce Gone with the Wind to "racist" without even trying to analyze the novel. There is, in fact, very, very little serious criticism of this novel despite its blockbuster status. I have had no success in finding any serious literary scholarship on it--and the one book I did find is out of print!

Basically, Gone with the Wind is a novel that deserves to be read in context and more appreciated by scholars.
2 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Gone with the Wind.

Quotes Lara Liked

Margaret Mitchell
“Burdens are for shoulders strong enough to carry them.”

Margaret Mitchell
“Supposed I don't want to redeem myself? Why should I fight to uphold the system that cast me out? I shall take pleasure in seeing it smashed.”

Margaret Mitchell
“All wars are sacred,to those who have to fight them. If the people who started wars didn’t make them sacred, who would be foolish enough to fight? But, no matter what rallying cries the orators give to the idiots who fight, no matter what noble purposes they assign to wars, there is never but one reason for a war. And that is money. All wars are in reality money squabbles. But so few people ever realize it. Their ears are too full of bugles and drums and the fine words from stay-at-home orators. Sometimes the rallying cry is ’save the Tomb of Christ from the Heathen!’ Sometimes it’s ’down with Popery!’ and sometimes ‘Liberty!’ and sometimes ‘Cotton, Slavery and States’ Rights!”
tags: money, war

Margaret Mitchell
“I wish to Heaven I was married," she said resentfully as she attacked the yams with loathing. "I'm tired of everlastingly being unnatural and never doing anything I want to do. I'm tired of acting like I don't eat more than a bird, and walking when I want to run and saying I feel faint after a waltz, when I could dance for two days and never get tired. I'm tired of saying, 'How wonderful you are!' to fool men who haven't got one-half the sense I've got, and I'm tired of pretending I don't know anything, so men can tell me things and feel important while they're doing it... I can't eat another bite.”

11/09 page 170
11/28 page 480
50.0% "I enjoy this novel more with each reading."
12/20 page 909
95.0% "Third time is the charm; this time, the ending is making me teary eyed. Oh so sad!"
02/11 page 150
14.0% "Well, I was in need of some gumption, as Mitchell would put it, and started this last night. What do you know? I'm already in Part 2."
02/16 page 250
24.0% "Ah, such a classic! Never gets old for me..."
02/20 page 350
33.0% "Well, I cried near the end when I last read this; I'm now getting teary-eyed throughout. Mitchell was a genius. Period."
02/23 page 400
38.0% "Is it bad that this is all I want to read most of time? Nah. Couldn't be!"
06/14 marked as: read
show 8 hidden updates…

Comments (showing 1-1)

dateUp arrow    newest »

Sara I agree with you too.