Cynthia's Reviews > All the Living

All the Living by C.E. Morgan

Apr 11, 09

Read in April, 2009

I read a lot of the reviews for this book and was prepared to be disappointed because of the hype but found myself intrigued. It's another one of those modern books without a lot of plot but Morgan more than makes up for it with her wonderful, subtle writing and her insight adjacent aha's. The ending surprised me as well. The main characters are a pair of kids who are forced to grow up fast and they chose to agree to hold up one another. They almost fail at this last but they almost succeed. The boy has been plunged into grief with the loss of his brother and mother. The girl has never had any family. Neither can see the extent of the other's pain much less help mitigate it. One of the best things Morgan does is blur the line between internal and external thinking and activities. She doesn't use quotation marks so you're never quite sure if something is said out loud or if it's a thought. This might sound like it would be irritating but it actually adds to the depth of the insights which she helps you feel *you've come to on your own. Cleverly done. I hope she keeps writing.

PS I wish Goodreads used a 10 star format. I'm torn between a 4 and a 5 for All the Living but since there are no more gradations I'll give it a 5 rather than the 8 I'd give it on a 10 point scale.
4 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read All the Living.