Christy's Reviews > Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix by J.K. Rowling

Apr 13, 09

Jim Dale is the best reader/ radio actor ever. A master of the British dialect, he can do Scottish (Professor McGonagall), Yorkshire, Irish (Seamus Finnigan), and Afro-British (Kingsley Shacklebolt). Sirius is gravelly and growlly, Hagrid has the appropriate touch of a Northern English accent, the Malfoys sneer in the Queen's English. He strikes out in only two ways - Hermione sounds woolly, and Firenze and his centaur clan are Irish. I can understand the Celtic connection with the Otherworld and seeing into the future, but one can't take their sing-songy voices seriously. Also, one cannot help but note that Mr. Dale is a terrible singer.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Astri I might have to give this a listen.

message 2: by Adam (new)

Adam He's pretty good. But better than Paul Scofield, George Guidall, Neil Gaiman, John Mayer, Jeremy Irons, Paul Auster, Steve Martin, Colleen Dewhurst, Jonathan Montaldo, or Bill Kelsey? Okay, I don't know how many of these people also did radio acting... But I'm so glad to have access to all these great readers through audio books! There's nothing quite like having a good story told to you orally.

message 3: by Christy (new) - added it

Christy And by John Mayer, do you mean the singer? I can just hear him crooning a book into the microphone...

message 4: by Adam (new)

Adam Christy wrote: "And by John Mayer, do you mean the singer? I can just hear him crooning a book into the microphone..."

Ha, I don't think so. This would be a guy who did a brilliant reading of Faulkner's The Reivers.

Kathleen Um, Jim Dale is actually a brilliant singer. He was the original PT Barnum in the Broadway musical BARNUM, starring with Glenn Close. They were wonderful! If you don't believe me, find a copy of the musical and give it a listen! He can sing. Perhaps it's Firenze that can't.