Allison's Reviews > The Sound of Paper

The Sound of Paper by Julia Cameron

Jun 04, 09

bookshelves: favorites, adult
Read in April, 2009

Though the book sometimes borders on corny, there were so many thoughts and points in here that really struck home that I am forced to admit how much I enjoyed and connected with this book. Cameron takes a close look at what drives (and stalls) an artist in their pursuit of their art. She uses the metaphors of life in the Southwest: drought, wildfires, lightening storms, rainbows, fiesta, solitude, rebirth, to examine the seasons and changing weather of an artist's life: when a writer is facing their own "drought" of ideas and inspiration, how to temper the "wildfire" that sometimes consumes us when we are in the midst of a blaze of inspiration, how to stay connected to others while pursuing the solitary act of creation, how to silence or trick that inner critic (hers is named Nigel) that prevents us from allowing ourselves to "work poorly." She is a very spiritual woman and that perspective, while not critical to an appreciation to the book, is enough a part of the text that for those who don't share her views, it might undermine her credibility. But I found it beautiful and refreshing--the idea that it is more productive to consider oneself a conduit for art, rather than a source of it. I would recommend this for any artist or writer who struggles to create.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Sound of Paper.