Lucy 's Reviews > The Angel of Death

The Angel of Death by Alane Ferguson

Apr 13, 09

bookshelves: 2009, mystery, teen
Recommended for: people who like crappy mysteries
Read in April, 2009

Cameryn Mahoney has an unusual side job--she's assistant to the county coroner--who happens to be her father. But she didn't get the job through nepotism--Cammie is good at death.

But this time, the case may be too gruesome for even Cammie to handle. When her teacher is found dead in his bed, discovered by Kyle O'Neil, one of his Eagle Scouts, Cammie is horrified to discover that his eyes are burned out--indeed, Mr. Oaks has been cooked from the inside out.

The case is mysterious, and the trail is full of dead ends. It deserves her full attention, but Cammie is distracted--by the secret she's keeping about her estranged mother, and by a budding relationship with the ultrapopular Kyle. She may be too distracted to pick up on the clues to the identity of the killer before it's too late.

I didn't like The Christopher Killer at all, so I'm not really sure why I read this one. I don't think the writing was strong at all. Cammie is not a compelling, interesting or likeable character in the least. She is a classic Mary-Sue--and the fact that Ferguson needs to keep reminding us that Cammie's best friend Lyric is both fat and weird is very off-putting.

If all that weren't enough, I knew who the killer was from reading the cover copy--and if I hadn't figured it out then, I would have picked it up the first time we met him. From the way the book was written, it was somewhat clear why Cammie et al didn't pick up on it--but that's still sloppy writing. If the reader knows whodunit light years before the crack girl detective forensic pathologist, it makes for an utterly boring read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Angel of Death.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rima (last edited Feb 05, 2010 10:33AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Rima i actually liked this book very much. See when i read a book i usually look at the plot not the writing style because even though the writing style is weak it is a terrific book to read.

Lucy Gotta disagree with you there--I mean, you're welcome to like what you like, but I found the plotting to be as weak as the writing.

And for me, generally, if the writing is weak, no matter how good the plotting is, it ruins the book for me.