BT's Reviews > The Pillars of the Earth

The Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett

M 50x66
Jul 27, 08

Recommended to BT by: a randy teen
Recommended for: randy teens
Read in July, 2008

I'm torn on how to rate this book. On the one hand, it consistently kept my concentration, and at 950+ pages, that is a long time to do that. It wasn't "I can't put it down" interesting, but it was "I'll read an extra 10 minutes of my lunch break" interesting.

On the other hand, it was not what I expected. I thought it would be very high-minded, philosophical heroic figures sitting around the ale-house talking about architecture. Instead, it was trash! I think Follett takes great pleasure in making readers cringe with various rape, killing and animal cruelty scenes. He also describes hot loving with a bit more detail than I had bargained for.

Follett's story features characters that are very much stereotypes that we've seen a million times, and he lines them up against each other and creates confrontations of good vs. bad over and over (and over and over and over). Then, at some point, I guess he figures he's had enough confrontations and he says the end.

My mind wants me to give the book 3 stars, maybe even 2. But any book that kept me coming back for 950 pages must be doing something right. That's why I give it 3.5 stars.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Pillars of the Earth.

message 1: by Amy (new)

Amy Any review that can articulately work in the phrase "hot loving" gets my vote!