Thomas's Reviews > Dreamland

Dreamland by Sarah Dessen

2018505
Apr 08, 09

bookshelves: five-stars, young-adult, realistic-fiction, romance
Recommended to Thomas by: Sarah Dessen fans
Read in April, 2009

"Dreamland" is the first novel I've read from Sarah Dessen, and I had high expectations of it due to all the hype my friends go on and on about from her books. I was not dissapointed. This book is about sixteen year old Caitlin, the B-honor roll bronze medal award getter. It starts out that on her birthday her older, more perfect sister Cassandra runs away to live with her boyfriend. She quickly tries to fill the void her sister has created for her but instead falls right into it. She starts exhibiting dangerous behavior and even gets a new, destructive boyfriend - Rogerson Biscoe.

This book just tells the story that so many girls and women must face these days. It perfectly narrates why Caitlin is suffering and can't get out, so readers that are new to this subject understand the pain she is going through. The beggining where Cass ran way was beautifuly written, the middle sometimes felt forced for me, but the ending picked right back up and was told perfecly. I would give this book 4.5 stars, but because that's not a choice I think it deserves higher than 4 so I am giving it a 5/5 star.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dreamland.