Melissa Stebbins's Reviews > The Hole in Our Gospel: What Does God Expect of Us? the Answer That Changed My Life and Might Just Change the World

The Hole in Our Gospel by Richard Stearns

F_50x66
Apr 08, 09

I received this book as part of the Book Review Bloggers program with Thomas Nelson. Richard Stearns is president of World Vision U.S. and in this book he puts out a call to Christians to embrace the whole gospel and get serious about bringing God’s love to a world that is full of injustice.

Stearns has managed to avoid what could easily have become a depressing, guilt inducing read to produce an inspiring call to action and self-examination. His honest appraisal of his own attempts to avoid God’s call on his life and his ongoing struggle to really care about the plight of the poor coupled with stories of ordinary people making a difference through small actions encouraged me.

“Let my heart be broken by the things that break the heart of God” is a prayer by Bob Pierce founder of World Vision and it’s a prayer we should be praying today. There’s plenty that breaks God’s heart and Stearns uses personal stories to put faces to the statistics – have some tissues handy. A definite recommendation if you don’t mind being challenged in your comfort.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Hole in Our Gospel.