Shawna's Reviews > Ice Blue

Ice Blue by Anne Stuart

Jan 04, 2015

bookshelves: romantic-suspense, author-anne-stuart-kristina-douglas, favorites, 2009-reads, i-read-own-faves-keepers, cop-bodyguard-govop-merc-military, hero-antihero-gamma, best-top-favorites, hero-im-gaga-over, why-do-good-girls-like-bad-boys, series-ice-fire, favorite-romance-series, captive-kidnapped-hostage-slave, hero-cold-cruelbrute-dark-dangerous, enemies-to-lovers-opposites-attract, hero-or-heroine-asian-polynesian, exotic-wild-settings-survivor-lovin, heroine-curvy-plump-not-stick-thin, archaeology-antiquities-scholar, assassin-hitman, action-adventure-treasure-hunting, 5-stars, brothers-sisters-cousins-family, hh-spy-agent-for-crown-and-country, mystery-intrigue-espionage-subplot, hero-recluse-loner-lonewolf, hero-bad-guy-ruthless-villainous, hero-brooding, hh-on-the-run-in-hiding, badass-kickass-motha-fucka, action-packed, violence-reader-discretion-advised, hero-dark
Recommended for: Romantic suspense fans who love sexy gamma heroes
Read in April, 2009

5 stars – Romantic Suspense

"Ice Blue" is another intriguing romantic suspense read in Anne Stuart’s gripping ‘Ice’ series and my favorite of the series so far, which is saying a lot considering the two previous books were wicked good too. I thought Bastien and Peter couldn’t be beat for dark, sexy-as-sin gamma heroes, but Takashi ‘Taka’ O’Brien in "Ice Blue" is positively drool worthy! He’s half American, half Japanese, which is a rare combination for a hero of a romance novel, and he resents his American "gaijin" half. This of course gives him additional material for sexy brooding, which is fine by me!

"Ice Blue" centers on a religious zealot in Japan leading a plot to induce Armageddon. The Committee dispatches undercover assassin Takashi O’Brien to stop the cult using any means necessary, including seducing and/or killing museum curator Summer Hawthorne, who unknowingly holds an ancient Japanese artifact that is a critical piece in the cult’s plot to destroy the world. The sparks between Takashi and Summer are electric and when they finally come together it’s explosive. It just seemed to end much too quickly for me...I wanted more! I’m so glad there are still two more books in the series! Takashi’s volatile cousin Reno was such a mystifying secondary character, and I can’t wait to read his story in "Fire and Ice".

I keep contemplating on what it is exactly that makes the ‘Ice’ series so thrilling, and I think it’s a combination of several things. For starters, Anne Stuart’s love-and-hate’em anti-heroes are truly unique for romance novels, the plots are dark, fast paced, and action packed, the heroines are relatable, imperfect, naïve, vulnerable, yet are strong, beautiful, and persistent enough to thaw the heroes’ ice cold hearts, and the villains are extremely sadistic and malevolent. The books are as compelling as a good suspense thriller movie, like the Bourne movies for instance, and make you wonder what it would be like to be caught up in the violent, turbulent, life-and-death, roller coaster whirlwind with ruthless, cunning, seductive killers like Bastien, Peter, or Takashi. (Or with all three of them at the same time would be my preference...lusty grin!)

"Ice Blue" is a top-notch romantic suspense thriller with a mouth-wateringly sexy gamma hero...5 stars!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ice Blue.

04/12/2009 page 1
04/13/2009 page 324
85.71% "Almost finished it last night...stayed up until 3am reading and finally called it quits."
04/14/2009 page 378
100.0% "Another thrilling read in Stuart's Ice series. Takashi is deliciously sexy! Review coming soon."

message 1: by Tammy (new) - added it

Tammy Nice review! =)

Daisiemae You'll love Fire and Ice, too! Great Review, Shawna:)

Kathrynn I remember this one! You are plowing through this series, Shawna. You go, girl! :-)

Eastofoz Those books are Bourne-esque I agree there! You really gave a sense of the feel of the series Shawn with the action, the sexy dark hero and the great heroines here :) I wish she'd continue this series sooner rather than later! The next one is excellent!

Shawna Thanks ya'll! I'm so anxious to read the last two books in the series, but I think I'm going to have to wait until I get back from my vacation. I'll probably bring a light contemporary romance with me on my trip and save the dark gamma heroes for when I get back!

message 6: by Miss Kim (new)

Miss Kim Shawna, you're going to have give a full report on your Italian vacation when you return to the real world!

Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books) I'm reading Fire and Ice now. I love this series.

Susan (the other Susan) I like the "all three of them at the same time" notion. Yowsa!

Shawna LOL!

Susan (the other Susan) Having finished the whole Ice series, I think I'd prefer them in sets of two. Bastien and Taka, Bastien and Peter, etc