Christina's Reviews > Soul Bonds

Apr 10, 09

bookshelves: 2009-books-read
Read in April, 2009

My Rating: 3 out of 5

Mitch is a nice guy who doesn’t take chances, doesn’t break the rules he’s set for himself, and never does anything to risk his safe, quiet, life. Until he meets Sammi in a gay bar and takes him home. His connection to Sammi is instant and intense and Mitch finds himself breaking every rule he’s ever made and then some.

Sammi turns Mitch’s ordered life upside down, but Mitch wouldn’t have it any other way. Despite getting into trouble at work over something related to Sammi (I’m not telling!), Mitch doesn’t make excuses. He accepts responsibility for his actions no matter how uncomfortable things are for him. Mitch learns to take risks and that doing the right thing doesn’t always mean being safe.

Sammi is running from Donovan, the powerful man who keeps him as a sex slave. He goes into the bar in order to find a pick-up who’ll take him off the streets for the night. When he realizes he can hear Mitch’s thoughts and sense his emotions, Sammi knows the two of them are meant to be together. The two of them form what Sammi calls a “soul bond”, a paranormal connection that I found delightful, if a little vague.

Sammi has been abused by nearly everyone in his young life. It’s hard to believe that he could survive all that he’s been through and still be such a sweet, lovable character. Sammi grows throughout the story; he realizes that he can better himself, that he can change, learn, and be free in ways he’s never hoped for before.

I would have rated this story much higher than 3 out of 5 if not for a few issues that brought my overall enjoyment down a notch or two. Some of the plot elements and character reactions didn’t feel very credible to me, namely the police interaction and Mitch’s initial reactions after a near run-in with Donovan’s goons. There was also a clinic scene where Sammi answers a questionnaire that takes up a full two pages. It does give a more in depth look at Sammi’s past, but I would rather have learned about it through exposition.

I’d recommend this to anyone who likes sexy paranormal stories with memorable characters. I look forward to reading the next two books in the series.

11 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Soul Bonds.

04/08/2009 page 20
12.35% "Liking this so far..."
04/08/2009 page 162
100.0% "Review to follow soon..."