Pamela Pickering's Reviews > Tales of a Female Nomad: Living at Large in the World

Tales of a Female Nomad by Rita Golden Gelman

May 08, 09

bookshelves: abandoned, non-fiction, memoirs, travel
Read in May, 2009

I'm going to have to write this review without the book at hand since I gave it to a friend so I might not be able to refer to parts of the book accurately. Initially I liked the book. I thought it started out well and I liked the writing style. But early on the author made some statements which really bothered me. (Please remember the statement I made earlier in regards to accuracy) The first one I came across was in reference on how she felt sorry for people who basically chose to live in their houses, work, etc, because basically they weren't living a true life. Now, who the heck is this woman to tell other people how to live their lives. If someone wants to raise their family in the "traditional sense" who cares!? as long as that is that person's idea of happiness. Now, occassionally I would prefer to live a life of Nomad-ship myself but would never pity people for not choosing to live that type of life.

The next thing she did that made me basically close the book for good was state that she was now "one" with the indigenous people of one of the villages--that there were no distance between them. She says this simply because she spent a weekend away from the village in a beach town as this indigenous family spent. So, Rita, who is not a rich woman but compared to these people her income is quite large, who can leave the village and this way of life at any time, pay for better hotel at any time, buy food at any time, leave the country at any time, (you get my drift) is now at one with this family? Ummm....I think not. Maybe she becomes a little less self centered later in the book but I just didn't want to waste my time finding out. Abandoned the book around page 70.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Tales of a Female Nomad.

05/04/2009 page 33
10.31% "Decided to read this as two of my GR friends are reading it."

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ann (new) - rated it 2 stars

Ann Ohh, this looks good. Looking forwar to your review.

message 2: by Pamela (new) - added it

Pamela Pickering As I'm reading this I am definitely thinking of you. My GR quantum twin hated it though and couldn't finish it. So we'll see. I'm not quite as far along as she was before she abandoned it.