Shelley's Reviews > Fate Interrupted

Fate Interrupted by Kaitlyn Cross

Mar 25, 13

bookshelves: cliffhanger, drama-drama-drama, hilarious, meh
Read from January 27 to 28, 2013

Before I have a moan let me tell you about the story. (You can skip this part if you want)

Dean is a 35 year old lawyer and a player of note. He is a total chick magnet and never gets turned down, until he meets Evy and she is perfect, the one for him and he won’t take no for an answer.

Evy has moved to a new city with her sister and brother- in-law after her 12 year relationship ends in betrayal. She is focussed on the family business and knows a player when she sees one, but the attraction is undeniable and too soon she succumbs to the practised wily charms of mister tall dark and handsome.

Little do they know that Deans past will come back to haunt them both and test the strength of their relationship to breaking point.

When picking up this book I decided I was going to stick with it no matter what. After two weeks of discarding book after book at the first annoyance, I realised I was never going to find anything to read if I carried on like that. So this was it, a little sexy contemporary romance which hinted at a little drama and angst. Perfect!

(view spoiler) (hidden for effect)

What we have here is an insta- love attraction which holds no merit. The main protagonists lack character development and the prose is littered with clichéd eye rolling similes with a couple crackers that made my toes curl.

Her hair is a chocolate waterfall and ‘the most beautiful woman he has ever seen in his life’ He is like a Greek god.
They stare at each other with star-crossed eyes <-- what does that actually mean? Because this is the image I get ...
 photo 4364.gif

Their hearts swelling with something neither of them can explain Together they quiver with unbridled desire, chests heaving - communicating in a language more reserved for the wild. Cue: mental image of chattering monkeys.

Honestly the interaction with these two is just nauseating. Needless to say I was too busy cringing at the use of overly flamboyant adjectives to fully appreciate the relationship and chemistry between the two. I felt like I was trapped in a really bad Mills and Boons.

photo cheryl_cole_okay_zps81418488.gif

The saving grace (kind of) is the side characters and humour. Dean’s mates are seriously chauvinistic but you can’t help laughing at the banter.
I found Evy’s sister to be highly annoying in her pursuit of info regarding Evy’s sexual exploits with Dean.
Her brother-in-law was hysterical.

When the drama comes there is a surprisingly different twist in the direction you think it will take. At this point if the writing wasn't so bad this might have has an extra star. I always like a twist. I can see the appeal, and about five years ago I might have liked it too.
Be warned though, this is book 1 of 2, so the cliff-hanger is inevitable, and no I won't be reading the next installment.

2 Stars, cause it was bearable...just.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fate Interrupted.

01/27/2013
15.0% "After that rather filthy first chapter,
 photo Guild-Codex_zpsf18780f1.gif

I think I might be out of my book funk! Woop Woop!" 1 comment
01/28/2013
20.0% " "...,his erection searching for a way out of his jeans like a whale trapped beneath a sheet of ice." Oh dear... and I suspect it might get worse:/"
01/28/2013
37.0% " "He explored her soft curves, pouring buckets of blood into his stiffening manhood.
SERIOUSLY???
" 25 comments
01/28/2013
38.0% "Could this be anymore cliched? "She never dreamed anyone could look so gorgeous, like a Greek god..." " 2 comments

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Duchess Nicole (new)

Duchess Nicole LMAO!!! Star crossed eyes indeed, lol! Hmmm, not so sure about this. I may wait for the second book before deciding whether or not to give it a go.

Georgia ♥ Team Dex ♥ ROFL!!!!! hahahahahhahahahhahahaha! I can't find words to describe what you read Shelley! LOL!

Baba  ♥♥♥ Tyler, Marcus, Archer, Dean, Adrian, Dan & Hunter I quote....I think I might be out of my book funk! Woop Woop!

message 4: by HankLover (new)

HankLover Hilarious, lol.

Shelley Georgia wrote: "ROFL!!!!! hahahahahhahahahhahahaha! I can't find words to describe what you read Shelley! LOL!"

Ha, I've given up on myself Georgia.

Shelley Duchess Nicole wrote: "LMAO!!! Star crossed eyes indeed, lol! Hmmm, not so sure about this. I may wait for the second book before deciding whether or not to give it a go."

To be fair the plot is not bad, just the delivery. I'm the only negative reviewer (as usual) so please check out the others. The next book is out pretty soon I think :/

Shelley Baba wrote: "I quote....I think I might be out of my book funk! Woop Woop!

LMAO Hey, hon, pffffft...I love that pic! Love your review too! But I think I'll pass. *chuckle*"

Thought you might like that one;)

message 9: by Katie(babs) (new)

Katie(babs) This review had me dying! And this line: "...his erection searching for a way out of his jeans like a whale trapped beneath a sheet of ice."

And yet this is climbing up the charts on Amazon.

Blacky *Romance Addict* OMG ahaha awesome review, I have to try this just because of the whale quote ahahahahahaha

message 11: by Dd (new)

Dd Wonderful review Shelley!!:D

message 12: by Fyreball (new)

Fyreball Reed fabulous descriptions. It's the little things in life (like badly phrased 'star-crossed eyes') that distract from a story. I love a good laugh (a la Kristen Ashley's Rock Chicks) but hate it when the words get in the way of the story.

Marianna Absolutely could not have said it better myself...I should've known better after seeing the first couple of reviews...but I said what the heck, I'll try it...what a waste.

message 14: by Sarah (new)

Sarah 'like a whale trapped beneath a sheet of ice' just what?! avoiding this one!

message 15: by Holly (new)

Holly Letson Sounds like it'd be terrible. I definitely will NOT be reading it.

message 16: by Rhonda (new) - added it

Rhonda I wish I had read your review before I wasted time & money on these books!

message 17: by ♥Trish♥ (last edited Mar 26, 2013 01:55PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

♥Trish♥ Trust me book 2 was a major letdown! I was pissed

message 18: by Melissa (new) - added it

Melissa I totally have this one on my kindle but now I am not so sure ...

message 19: by Sarah (new)

Sarah I am so glad i read this review before i bought these! Thanks!

Kristen (Peddler of Smut) Nice and honest review., Shelley. Your pic cracked me up.