Morgan's Reviews > The Little Stranger

The Little Stranger by Sarah Waters

May 26, 09

bookshelves: supernatural, setting-england, haunted-house, 2009, adult
Read in May, 2009

I found this title while reading the reviews in an edition of Publisher's Weekly a few months ago. The Little Stranger was being compared to Shirley Jackson's The Haunting of Hill House which peaked my interest. Jackson's Hill House has been one of my favorites for quite a while and I have read it more than once. Saying this, I must admit I had very high expectations for this book when I got my hands on a copy, and in the end I was very pleased.

The story is told by Dr. Faraday, a rural doctor with a fascination for Hundreds Hall. The Hall is a fabulous mansion and has been occupied by the Ayers family for more than two centuries. The doctor becomes entangled in the Hall and the family after going to examine their new parlormaid, Betty, one hot day in July. Over the course of the following year Hundreds becomes rather menacing and a supernatural tale unfolds.

Though not as outright scary as Hill House, this book tells a very creepy tale. The reader becomes a part of the menacing and questions arrive as events slowly unfold. Ms Waters has created charecters that feel real and and the reader feels for them. She creates a setting with rich details and provides enough historical information that one is transported back in time.

The Little Stranger was an excellent book and I would highly recommend it to anyone that enjoys a supernatural tale.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Little Stranger.

message 1: by Douglas (new)

Douglas Hi Morgan -

Did you catch the article on this book in a recent Pub Weekly? I read one and it sounded good.

Doug

Morgan PW is exactly where I found this title. The write-up had a comparison to Shirley Jackson's The Haunting of Hill House, which ranks very high on my list of favorites.

message 3: by Douglas (new)

Douglas That's funny. The review sounded good to me as well. I think HCPL is getting the audio as well. I really enjoy a good thriller/horror but it seems there are so few that are well written - AND still scary.