Anna's Reviews > The Judas Kiss

The Judas Kiss by Victoria Holt

Apr 07, 09

bookshelves: historicalfiction, fiction, romance
Read in March, 2009

I love Victoria Holt. Well, actually, I love Jean Plaidy, that's who Victoria Holt really is. She just wrote under the name Victoria Holt, and also under the name Philippa Carr.

And this is the one I've liked the best so far. The heroine's name is actually Philippa (Pippa, for short)and we begin her story on a small island in the Mediterranean somewhere off the coast of Italy. Her father is a sculptor, her mother his muse, and her sister Francine, her best friend. When their mother dies, followed shortly by their father, they return to England to live with their grandparents. Their grandfather rules Greystone Manor with a tyrant's fist, and Pippa and her sister try to please him, but come up short. When Francine falls in love and runs off with a neighbor visiting from the Germanic country Bruxenstein, Pippa is left alone with her grandfather's wrath.

Several years later Pippa learns the awful truth - her sister and her husband were murdered in a political plot in Bruxenstein, and Pippa travels to the country to find the child she insist exists, though no one believes her. Will she find the truth? Will she find love? Or will she find disaster? Or all three???

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Judas Kiss.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Annie Well, actually, you love Eleanor Hibbert (me, too). She wrote under a variety of names, including Victoria Holt, Jean Plaidy and Phillippa Carr. She had a few others that I can't remember, but those three, I believe, were her most popular and prolific.