Stoyan Stoyanov's Reviews > Rama II

2196598
Jun 05, 2009

bookshelves: science-fiction-fantasy
Read in April, 2009

I am glad I came back to this adventure by Arthur C. Clarke. I have not read a Clarke novel in a very long time and reading this one reminded me what I had been missing. As usual, the science fiction element is really fascinating but it is just a backdrop for a very close examination of human nature, faith, love and betrayal. The novel reads almost like a philosophical treatise at times. Especially interesting for me were the complex implications for our concept of God if ever we discover intelligent life on a different planet.

My favorite passage:
"Nicole could still recite parts of her father's acceptance speech from memory. "I have often been asked," her father had said near the end of his delivery, "if I have accumulated any wisdom that I would like to share with future generations." He had then looked directly at her in the audience. "To my precious daughter Nicole, and all the young people in the world, I offer one simple insight. In my life I have found two things of priceless worth -- learning and loving. Nothing else -- not fame, not power, not achievement for its own sake -- can possibly have the same lasting value. For when your life is over, if you can say 'I have learned' and 'I have loved,' you will also be able to say 'I have been happy.'" (pp. 279-280)
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Rama II.

04/13/2009 page 180