Kristina Jo's Reviews > Something Borrowed

1011913
Feb 26, 10

bookshelves: first-reads
Read in February, 2010

Giffin manages to handle the role of the Other Woman with the kind of characterization that makes me actually empathize with The Other Woman. The First Woman was selfish and self-centered and we are led to believe that she never really loved the man in question. The Other Woman knew said man first; she "realized" that she had loved him since they met in law school something like 8 years ago. But I'm not sure I see where that justifies the illicit affair. I believe that it would be a successful rationalization, but I don't consider it a justification. And I know from back-cover blurbs that The First Woman and her extra man don't find happiness together, so I can't tell myself that it worked out for everyone. Sure, the partners switched (like I guessed they would on page 68), but it is far from "happily ever after." Which is good. "Happily ever after" annoys me, but I don't like when I'm told it's happily ever after" and then WHOOPS, no it isn't. Made ya look! Furthermore, I found most of the events to be kind of predictable and/or clichéd, as I pointed out with the partner switching. (Ew, by the way.) It's really kind of obvious that our main character is going to have mixed feelings about betraying her best friend. The whole controversy there is predictable. It's pretty self-evident that the man in question is going to leave it until the almost-last minute to decide that the main character (AKA The Other Woman) is The Woman for Him. So while I give Giffin props for making me empathize with a character whose role is really pretty despicable, I can't say that the plot, in retrospect, was very good. It was just predictable. On the verge of beating-a-dead-horse. Good for a three-day escape, but not much else.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Something Borrowed.