Lizzy's Reviews > Horse Heaven

Horse Heaven by Jane Smiley

1920765
Apr 17, 09

Read in April, 2009

AN ADULT VERSION OF THE SADDLE CLUB, YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY! I cannot believe it's taken me this long to discover Jane Smiley. Don't get me wrong - I wouldn't actually recommend this book to anyone besides myself, my mom, and maybe this one friend I had in college who came from Bakersfield, CA and used to ride her horse to school and also had never seen a crosswalk before moving to Berkeley and whose mother killed her exotic cat, Gizmo, by accidentally baking it in the dryer. WE ARE AMERICA AND WE LOVE JANE SMILEY! This book begins with a dramatis personae that includes the equine characters along with the humans. Smiley uses terms like eggbutt snaffle and pin-firing as if everybody knows what those things are (when in reality, only me and my mom and my friend from college do [because no one else besides us has ever ridden a horse:]). There's a bit of awkwardness when it comes to writing about non-horse things (e.g. there is a black rapper character named "Ho Ho Ice Chill," which is *so* what middle-aged white ladies who ride horses think rappers are called) - but who fucking cares?! HORSE BOOK YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY! I WANT A PONY, JANE SMILEY!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Horse Heaven.