Shonda's Reviews > True Colors

True Colors by Kristin Hannah

Apr 06, 2009

bookshelves: read-2009
Read in April, 2009

Overall, I thought this was a good read. It started out a bit slow, but when Dallas Raintree came to town, the story picked up quite a bit and I could not put it down. My only complaint is that I wanted Aurora’s character to be developed more. I thought the author did a good job with Winona and Viva Ann, but I didn’t feel as connected with Aurora as I did the other two.

The book begins in 1979 shortly after their mother's passing. It spans almost three decades and we see how her death still impacted them as adult women. Family loyalty and jealousy are two important themes in this book. Jealousy will cause Winona to do the unthinkable, while Vivi Ann is torn between following her heart and obeying her father’s demands.

Without giving too much away, the reader quickly comes to understand that within the Grey family, buried secrets will always find a way to resurface. Silence is not always the answer, as the past has a way of repeating itself. Living one’s life to always fit in, doesn’t mean one is doing the right thing. Be true to yourself and know that sometimes in life you may just have to stand alone.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read True Colors.