David's Reviews > Body Double

Body Double by Tess Gerritsen

M_50x66
Apr 06, 09

bookshelves: completed

I gave this book three stars but would have preferred to fit it somewhere in between a 2 and a 3. Gerritsen writes some good stuff, always full of twists and turns. This one is not her best effort, in my opinion, but still a decent read.

Maura (a recurring character) Isles is a medical examiner. She returns from a trip to find her house surrounded by police (some of whom she knows through her office) examining a body that they thought was hers. the mystery begins.. how could there be someone who looks so much like her and was she murdered in front of the house as a message to her?

One of my pet peeves is when a writer resorts to something I like to refer to as "personal involvement" as a "deus ex machina" to proper the plot forward. This is what ruined many of the most popular cop television programs of the 70's... The Rookies - Kate Jackson's nurse character invevitably was trying to help someone who turned out to either be the bad guy or related. Gerritsen chooses this cheap trick to move this story forward...

While the story remains scary, frightening, etc. this annoying tactic continues to nag at me through the conclusion.. robbing me of the complete joy I should have experienced for watching this mystery unfold.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Body Double.