Paul's Reviews > The Information Bomb

Apr 14, 2009

liked it
bookshelves: 2009
Read in April, 2009

I first read Virilio in college, when I was too young to understand what I thought about the world. Now I'm 26 (27 in a month!) and I know exactly what I think about the world. And I think the acceleration of time and the shrinking of the world by means of technology are extremely pertinent. Virilio's writing is in-depth and insightful, and not extremely difficult to understand. The problem is the guy is super conservative, and a bit doomsday about where things are going w/r/t technology. The way I see it, the Internet isn't going anywhere, so why rage against it? Sure, it sacrifices a great deal of authenticity for the sake of ease, speed, and ubiquity, but didn't the printing press do the same thing back in the day? No one's saying we should do away with books. In fact, technophobes are lamenting the Internet's inevitable and imminent defeat of books. Fast forward like 100 years into the future, and these same people will complain about how ____ is threatening to make the Internet obsolete, and what a tragedy and c. etc. Anyway, a lot of Virilio's ideas are ones I can definitely vibe with, but his conclusions are, at least in The Information Bomb, pretty reactionary. I'll keep reading his stuff, though. Because it's good. Conservatives should read more liberal thinkers, and v/v. That's a fact.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Information Bomb.