Jenwah's Reviews > The Weather Makers: How Man Is Changing the Climate and What It Means for Life on Earth

The Weather Makers by Tim Flannery

Aug 27, 07

Recommended for: EVERYONE!
Read in October, 2006

A well written, scientifically-based description of climate change. Flannery writes beautifully, keeping the reader engaged as he explains some of the science, uncertainties and dangers of climate change. Definitely a nice way to digest the info if you're a non-scientist. A nice reminder to scientists on how to communicate the science to others. And--EVERYONE should be familiar with these issues, the first environmental problem on a truely global scale. A scary issue because we don't see all the impacts now. But if we don't change now it will be too late to avoid the impacts later.

Caveats: while the science that Flannery talks about is very valid... sometimes he uses metaphors that I may disagree with. I'm not entirely comfortable with "Gaia" which he uses a few times. It's a nice way to communicate about the Earth, but not very science-y. And, there are times that the science may be unclear because he hops from topic to topic to make a particular point. i.e. sacrificing the clarity of linear scientific thought in order to entertain.
Additionally, he does take the "what if!?"s all the way to the tippy toppest most alarming place.... while we can't know for sure if that will happen, it may be good to consider anyway.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Weather Makers.