Tracy's Reviews > What to Expect the First Year

What to Expect the First Year by Heidi Murkoff

Apr 06, 09

Read in April, 2005

This book is good, and it's definitely the most popular baby guide. But, there are other books that are better, like the one from the American Academy of Pediatricians, Caring for Your Baby and Young Child. I felt this book included too many topics that were just hype. It also covers topics in an inflammatory way, and then more calmly states the actual facts at the very end of a topic.

For instance, it lists a number of foods not to give your child the first or even second year. I was starting to get worried. Then, as a disclaimer at the end, it says not to worry unless you have a family history of allergies to those specific foods.

Another example is the list of things your child should do at each milestone. I felt like we kept up pretty well until the last milestone at one year when my child should have been doing everything except fly a rocket ship. Again, I felt panic that we were doing something wrong until I read a little further and figured out that nobody else's kids were doing it either. The next chapter said things like "30% of children won't do this until they're 18 months old."

Spend your money on some other book, if you have a chance. But if you're at Wal-Mart, and this is the only book they have, it'll still give you the necessary information.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read What to Expect the First Year.