Summer's Reviews > This Is Not Chick Lit: Original Stories by America's Best Women Writers

This Is Not Chick Lit by Elizabeth Merrick

Oct 09, 07

bookshelves: 2007, short-stories

Admittedly, I picked this up because of my hatred for the titular subgenre - a horrible plot structure wherin skinny, whiny WASPs spend more on shoes than the GDP of several developing countries (what the hell is a strappy Manolo?). And it's especially disheartening to see huge, pink displays of the stuff in bookstores, especially when women authors are turning out the same volume of work as male authors, but getting overwhelmingly overlooked in criticism and awards (See Ursula K. LeGuin's excellent essay on the subject in The Wave in the Mind ). This is not to say that I hate any genre fiction - I do love good SF, and while I'm not a crime novel buff, I understand why they're a fun escape - but that I'm a little wary of associating Women Authors with such a bland, awful type of book.

Anyway, this is a collection of short stories by contemporary women authors, only two of which I'd heard of, and it's fantastic. Independent of Not Being Chick Lit, it's actually a very good anthology.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read This Is Not Chick Lit.

Trebro Glad you liked it, oddly enough I think this is the book I've gotten more people interested in reading than anything else I've read lately. :)

-Rob