Chris's Reviews > Sweet Relief: The Marla Ruzicka Story

Sweet Relief by Jennifer Abrahamson

Sep 04, 07

Read in August, 2007

I picked this up ages ago, and after reading Babylon by Bus, where Marla is mentioned, it reminded me of this book and it seemed an appropriate time to finally start reading this. Got through the first couple chapters and I can't put it down. What a charismatic woman!
I've finished it now and WOW! What an amazing woman. She did so much to aid civilian casualties of war in Afganistan and Iraq. She was absolutely manic in her energy and charm and managed to do things no one else ever could simply by just burrowing herself into a place, socializing, networking, throwing parties and lobbying congress and becoming a worldwide known human rights organizer. Her bi-polar manic depression fed her drive and was her own best and worst enemy. I see several of my overdriven friends in her. She was killed by a suicide car bomb in 2005, but she made her mark on everyone who met her and this biography tells an amazing story. Talk about the flipside to the Babylon by Bus story - this is about one woman who dedicated every ounce of herself to the cause and solicited help from everyone in her path and forged a way against all odds. Amazing!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sweet Relief.