Thomas's Reviews > To Kill a Mockingbird

To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee

2018505
Mar 30, 11

bookshelves: five-stars, read-for-high-school, favorites, pulitzer-prize, historical-fiction
Read in April, 2009, read count: 2

*Reaction to when I read this as a freshman in high school*
After my second read-through of the novel (some parts independently and some parts at school) I've really realized just how amazing this book is. I actually got teary-eyed quite a few times. Lee infuses tremendous writing technique with a story so real, raw, and damaging that it just left me irreversibly changed. There is no question why schools teach lessons with this novel; it's just... amazing. My heart is still aching and rooting for the characters in this novel as well, they will stay with me for a long time.

*A year later, as a sophomore*

Absolutely riveting. One of my favorite classics.

Quotes Thomas Liked

Harper Lee
“Until I feared I would lose it, I never loved to read. One does not love breathing.”
Harper Lee, To Kill a Mockingbird

Harper Lee
“You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view... Until you climb inside of his skin and walk around in it.”
Harper Lee, To Kill a Mockingbird

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ralph (new) - added it

Ralph Excellent review! I enjoyed reading this while I was in school. I'll have to give it reread sometime.

message 2: by Angelc (new)

Angelc Great review, Thomas! I've actually never read this one, I think I need to!!

Thomas Thanks guys =D I can't believe I only gave it four stars before, it truly is an example of why some books are regarded as literature and others plainly as mass market, fiction, etc...

Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads) This is one of my favorite books of all time. I loved your review, Thomas.

Wesley This was an absolute fantastic review, it's next on my list.

Thomas Thanks a bunch, both of you. :)

Wesley, I'm surprised you haven't read this yet. Can't wait to see your thoughts on it.

message 7: by Lottie (new)

Lottie Eve I read this in sixth grade when my English teacher recommended it to me. I will be forever thankful to her.

Erin BEST BOOK EVER!

Pirzha-Loves-Reading I love your reviews, I love your choices! I actually have added a bunch of books to read based on your reviews! I love them! This is another book I will read soon :)